Monday, February 11, 2013

Vowel Patterns (K.RFS.3b)


Update: I have created a vowel pattern mega packet to help teach these to kindergarten through 2nd graders.  The packet includes posters, jeopardy games, sorts, partner work of spelling words, small group interventions, and whole class activities.  Please click here to find out more!



I can not say enough about introducing Kindergartners to vowel patterns.  Every book out there has words in it that contain vowel patterns.  We do this video every day in my classroom to learn the sounds each pattern makes.  I have seen a huge difference in my kids reading abilities just from using this short video.  I had my daughters do the motions, this helps kids learn them quicker :)


We also work on spelling vowel patterns by using this chart.  I put the paper in a plastic sleeve to save paper.  We practice spelling words on it once a week.  If we come to one that has two different patterns I will tell them to circle the pattern that we are going to use to spell that word.


None of my kids came in reading.  I have 2 on level G, 4 F's, 1 E, 7 D's, 4 C's and 2 B's






No comments:

Post a Comment