Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sight Words (K.RFS.3c)

Update: I currently have a circus theme in my classroom, I have been calling sight words popcorn words and explaining how they pop up all the time in books that we read.  We highlight or "butter" popcorn words that we see on worksheets.  I made class visuals for a bulletin board, resources to send home, and resources to create the individual words for students to practice.  Click here to get your set. 


I also created a video to go with thse words


                                                        

My kindergarten students know on average close to 100 sight words.  My district uses the Teacher College lists of sight words.  I cut a list of words in half and staple them into a book.  Every time a student learns and gets all 25 words highlighted in their book they move up to the next colored book.  We have a student in class that is on the black book (the last book of sight words) they think that is so cool.  This is very motivational for my kids and they can see their growth.  They love when they move on to the next colored book.  I also send a note home so parents are aware of the new words their child is currently working on.

                                                         

I put this hangman game into a sleeve and the kids flip to a page in their sight word book and play hangman sightword to review words too.  The creater of this sight word sheet is listed at the bottom of the picture.

                                                

Check out this song to help kids learn Teacher College List A of Sight Words








                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment