Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Using pointers to track print (K.RFS.1a)


Common Core Reading: Foundation Skills
K.RFS.1


I like to provide my students with pointers to use when reading the books in their book boxes.  This provides them a fun way to practice tracking print from top/bottom, left/right.  I have them just use a plain stick for the first month of school.  I tell them if they are responsible and take care of their stick they will get "cooler" pointers as the year goes on.

August/September: popsicle stick with a smile drawn on
October: witchy fingers Oriental Trading
November: feathers
December/January: snowmen (cut the fingers off of white gloves, add a little cotton stuffing, a pipe cleaner scarf, and decorate with a sharpie.
February: Southwest Airlines stir sticks
March: Shamrock sticker, some years I make gold glitter sticks
April/May: foam flower








No comments:

Post a Comment