Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Partner Reading

Update: I have created a resources and visual display for kids to help them remember what a good reading coach does.  These things go right along with the video found below!  Click on the picture for the resources.  Happy Coaching!

Children learn so much from each other and gain new understandings by talking to partners. Each day in my classroom I have students read with an assigned partner that is on the same level as them. Students work on the three ways to read a book during this time. I start my partner reading time with a mini lesson and then tell them the type of reading they will be practicing for that day. As the year goes on and students progress into reading the words of books I phase out the read to pictures type. There are four ways to read with a partner. In the beginning of the year I tell groups which way to practice and as the year goes on students are able to pick.

1. I read a page, you read a page (students take turns back and forth reading the pages)
2. Echo reading (one student reads a page and the other student repeats)
3. Choral reading (both students read the words at the same time)
4. I read a book, you read a book (one student reads an entire book, and the partner reads a whole book)

Here is a link to posters I have in my classroom for students to remember the types of Buddy Reading



I have them practice sitting criss-cross and both holding on to the book.  This way both partners can see the book and whoever is not reading can follow along and help coach their buddy.

                                                               Coaching Video

No comments:

Post a Comment